<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 16, 2007

I Think I Love My Wife, Premonition 

I Think I Love My Wife:

Chris Rock has mellowed with age.

This was the thought that returned to me again and again while watching I Think I Love My Wife. It’s not just that he and Louis C.K. have adapted their movie from the French New Wave film Chloe in the Afternoon. It was the way every scene that seemed to be going for the jugular instead veered off and just clipped a vein. Here and there you think Rock’s Richard Cooper is going to veer into dangerous territory, that maybe he’ll do something to make himself a touch less likable. Maybe instead of just thinking about bad decisions he’ll actually make some, and then I Think I Love My Wife will have its teeth in you.

(More...)

Premonition:

There’s a disorientation to Premonition. Not the one victimizing Linda Hanson (Sandra Bullock), a woman forced to live the week of her husband’s sudden death out of sequence. The disorientation is a lack of center to the film, a lack of thematic direction, a problem exacerbated by indistinct direction from Mennan Yapo. The performances are serviceable, but the material never lets the actors do much beyond reacting to the unlikely and the improbable. And no, I’m not talking about the fantasy elements of the story. I’m talking about the plot holes and shifting motivations.

(More...)

Labels: ,


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?