<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 13, 2006

MLM: The End? 

Mommy’s Little Monsters is, for now, drawing to a close. It’s been a fun trip; I find that the process of writing about something I enjoy on a visceral level goes a long way toward deconstructing what it is about that material that intrigues you so much. Often I would approach the pieces with a vague idea of what I wanted to say, and trusted the rest to the spirit of the moment. You’d be surprised how much good work results from just that approach. What’s been most rewarding for me, though, is the conversations had in the comments of each MLM after it went up. It’s one thing to stand up and plead my case to the void, and quite another to actually bounce those ideas off other people who are at least as intelligent as me. Usually moreso.

But I’ve never liked forums. They’re too anarchic, too prone to breeding cults of personality, too often meandering without any real focus or purpose for existence. Not here, though. You’re a sharp bunch. You’ve done a lot to illuminate why I like what I like, and I can honestly say I now have a deeper understanding of several works of fiction, as well as a firmer grasp on why those works of fiction appeal to me. So, thank you.

Enough sap and a bit of history: When Rick first came to me about writing for the relaunched DBS, I spent a fair amount of time trying to decide on a focus for the column. I originally felt I’d just write a “whatever’s on my mind this week” feature, but Rick wisely steered me away from that course. That lack of focus, you see. I’d lose my way, and fast.

He hit on the idea of taking over MLM, and I liked the idea. Over the next few days I jotted down a big list of villains, monsters, sociopaths, and ne’er-do-wells to cover in the coming months. Some were added onto the list later, and some hit me out of the ether — I had no idea I was going to write about Strange Days until I sat down and the words came out.

Here, then, is a brief list of those that were considered but never written about.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?