<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

So it's Wednesday. 

1) So I hear there was some big national to-do yesterday. I'm not really going to talk about the election, because I'm sure you don't care about my opinion on the subject and I know I don't care about yours. So sorry.

2) I did see a bumpersticker that said "Who would President Reagan vote for?" Which is so offensively wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. I suppose I'll start with the obvious: since when, in the average person's mind, did President Reagan equate to Jesus? The obvious WWJD connotations are... irksome. And I'm not even a religious person.

I guess I sensed this canonization coming, but not in such a horribly tacky and (dare I say) blasphemous manner.

3) HARD TIME FOR A HARD RINGWOOD winners -- your prizes went out today, first class. I apologize for the delay. You would not believe how hard it was to find five fucking copies of that TPB, and last I checked Amazon still has it listed on pre-order status. (And it's not like DC Direct is going to help me out.)

4) I believe Alan Moore's "slab of culture" still exists. You know the old chestnut Warren Ellis trots out: that, things used to be, you could walk into a comics shop every Wednesday and walk on out with a slab of culture for $10 (or whatever.) Okay, so, the price has changed, but I think the kneejerk pessimism is basically just unfounded. Reading conversations lately about the "Wild Westitude" of comics only confirms that belief. Today, I walked out of my favorite comics shop with books by Garth Ennis, Chris Ware, Grant Morrison, Peter Milligan, Ed Brubaker, Mike Mignola, Joe Casey, Steve Gerber, Brian K. Vaughan, Peter David, and George Fucking Romero.

That, friends and neighbors, is a slab of culture unmatched in any other medium.

It's a good time to be a comics fan.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?