<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 10, 2004

Snark is the new irony. 

RAGEFUCK POST RATING: 2

First: apologies all around for not updating lately. I've been house sitting at a place with no broadband and a computer older than Jesus.

And just something that's been on my mind:

I don't like snark. It's dishonest.

This is problematic for me. Snark just last week edged out English as the primary language of the Western Internet, and it's the primary way to say such varied things as Thinking That Guy's Adoration of Bendis Is Stupid to Thinking That Guy's Adoration of John Kerry Is Stupid. It's a handy tool. It makes people feel big.

But it's dishonest.

As far as I can tell, Snark is the younger sibling to belligerent Sarcasm and snivelling Irony. (The parents are Arrogance and Insecurity. And let's hope Dorian is right about Irony.) Its purpose is to insult someone with a backhanded comment and make the Snarker look big. Basically, it's a way for the weak to be bullies.

Sarcasm's useful, recognized, and blunt. Irony, in doses so small it can't be seen with the human eye, is tolerable. With snark, less is more. In fact, not using it at all is more.

The next time you find yourself thinking over that perfect one-liner to zing the shit out of someone, sit back and think: would my point be much better made if I just came out and said what I felt?

If your answer is no, then your opinion isn't worth knowing.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?