<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

What I bought and why. 

In no particular order.

(As if you cared.)

Birds of Prey #65 - What can I say? It's a blast. The comic costs $2.50 and the entertainment is precisely that value, which is not an insult. I want to see Gail Simone on more titles, please. Also: could we maybe go back to the bodysuit costume for the Huntress? She looks like a stripper on Superhero Night at a titty bar in 1977.

Thanks.

Hellboy: The Corpse - I really know just about jack shit about Hellboy, which makes me a Bad Comic Book Fan. So I got this. Plus, it's 25 cents. You could only go wrong with this if touching the pages gave you syphillis.

And you can cure syphillis.

Freaks of the Heartland #2 - This better go somewhere fast. The artwork is absolutely gorgeous. I'd even go so far as to say it's "sumptuous," which is not a word you often see outside of jacket quotes for romance novels.

Wanted #3 - I like it. In fact, I like it quite a lot. It's a lot of fun. If everyone would just get their sticks out of their asses once in awhile and enjoy a good, nasty, brutal, funny ride, they might have a good time with this book too.

The Losers #10 - Viva la Losers revolucion! If you're not buying this book, would you please blow your fucking head off? You have no reason to be alive. Seriously, this is one of the most fun (funnest?) books in print, and its sales numbers are as shitty as frozen diarrhea dipped in a septic tank.

Which is pretty shitty. BUY THE BOOK!

(Props to Shane and Johnny for being part of the revolution.)

Lone #5 - I would make love to this book if I could. Given time, I'll find a way.

Patient Zero #1 - Total impulse buy. Sounded vaguely familiar. The art is purdy.

Cable & Deadpool #1 - Shut up. I hear you laughing, but SHUT UP! Cable is my secret shame; the spectre of my naive youth come back to haunt me. When I was a young, dumb kid (as opposed to an old, dumb kid) I, like any other comic book fan at age 11, created my own comic book universe. So enamored was I with Cable's look and persona (yeah yeah, stay with me, here) that approximately 150% of all my creations looked and operated just as he did.

What I didn't buy: Demo #5 - I'll let you in on a little secret. Demo is very, sorely, completely overrated. The writing is strictly competent, a mishmash of teenage angst wrapped up in arthouse pretensions. The art is pretty but utterly static; nowhere is the reader convinced that they are watching a story in motion; rather, the reader is very aware that they are looking at a series of stills. I dunno, I figure people are just hypnotized by the fact that a book came out of nowhere that's not a total piece of shit.

I'll tell you how it all goes.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?