<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 25, 2004

The way it be. 

As promised, the Only Opinion That Matters:

Wanted #3 -- Moving along at a nice pace, and more entertaining with every issue. I'm not sure why everyone gets their Depends in a bunch over this, lobbing all kinds of insults about how "immature" it is, and so on and so forth. I'm not sure these folks realize that the main character is, in fact, incredibly immature. And we are viewing the story through his eyes. Brush up on those critical thinking skills, folks. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, and by god if this isn't one of the most fun books out there.

Birds of Prey #65 -- Speaking of fun. This is the only series in the world that could make me give a rat's ass about Black Canary. BC's way too straitlaced of a hero, and Oracle pretty much defines "stick in the mud," so when are we finally going to see Huntress having an equal share in the stories? Right now she's still supporting. All the same. Simone shows a growing confidence handling action stories along with her trademark dialogue, and I'm intrigued with where this story could go, if not outright fascinated.

Cable & Deadpool #1 -- Eh. You know. It's not bad. Deadpool isn't half as funny as any of the characters in Agent X (speaking of Gail Simone) in this incarnation, but I suppose it could go somewhere. And did I totally miss the reason why Cable was in that same pharmaceutical facility, or is that just going to be explained later? Anyway. Always good to see Deadpool in action.

Hellboy: The Corpse -- Talk about coming late to the game. I realize this is an old classic, yadda yadda, but as previously stated I am something of an ignorant dullard when it comes to Hellboy. There's little I could say about the comic or Mignola that hasn't already been said over and over again since 1996, so I'll just say this man handles occult weirdness with such dry, deft wit and respect that I can't help but be hooked. A dark ruby wine, or however Alan Moore put it...

Freaks of the Heartland #2 -- The first two issues could have been covered in one issue. I'm waiting to be truly impressed, Steve Niles. The only reason I'm going to keep goign with this series is because Greg Ruth's art is so gorgeous I feel like I could fall right into it. The art, so far, is the only thing that has set the mood for this mini so effectively.

Lone #5 -- Still one of the weirdest books out there, and still the most innovative. I think what we see here is a creative team truly in love with their story, characters, and setting, but not so beholden to them that they don't keep generating new concepts and ideas. Where the hell else have you seen a biker gang of glowing green skeletons rob a train, or a poker game involving a gorilla with bionic laser vision? Just typing that out gives me a grin.

Patient Zero #1 -- I have no idea what the hell happened here, and I'm not going to stick around to find out. The art I previously found purdy is, in fact, just murky and undefined. The writer's essay about his inspiration for the series is enlightening and interesting, but his execution is, shall we say, flawed. Sorry.

The Losers #10 -- Usual praise. Diggle and Jock have an energy about them that comes through in every frame, in dialogue or in action sequences. What's a refreshing breath of air is the Aisha character -- she's a "hardcore chick," but not in the usual comic book sense that she shoots guys while her tits keep popping out of her halter. No. She's a soldier. A soldier more aware of the world she moves in than anyone else in the Losers, with the exception of their leader.

And I think, in order to promote The Losers more, I will run some kind of.. giveaway, or contest. Stay tuned.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?