<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Delayed. 

I'm having a bit of a situation, so I wasn't able to get my hands on my comics today. I did, however, get my hands on my roommate's, and read some of his books (some of which I buy, too). So consider this a brief thing until I get the actual, real reading list for this week fired up.

Batman: Gothan Knights #51 - Rather wonderful, actually. Writer A.J. Lieberman picks up a Hush story right after that acclaimed mini-series came to an end, and trumps Jeph Loeb at pretty much every turn on Loeb's own creation. This isn't hackwork or an exercise in trotting out Batman's rogue's gallery; by god, this is a real mystery with an active, dynamic villain that you truly have to kind of stand in awe of. Al Barrionuevo's pencils are going to take some getting used to, I think. Bruce Wayne's face on page 4 goes from lantern-jawed in a three-quarters shot to some kind of weird Watcher chin in the next panel, head-on. At any rate. This series is definitely worth a look.

Daredevil #58 - Bendis, please go ahead and get somewhere with this. The current arc has had a mild investigatory angle to it, with Ben Urich trying to track down Murdock after his run-in with the Yakuza. And because this is a book written by Bendis, there's a police interrogation scene. No, really! Anyway. After the mostly-dull-with-some-lively-moments run by David Mack on DD, I'd really like to get a sense of forward momentum again. Is that too much to ask? Alex Maleev's and Matt Hollingsworth's art remains the top showpiece in Marvel's stable.

The Walking Dead #5 - It actually, truly, really is one of the best books on the market. Kirkman knows the genre he operates inside of well, and here we see the cracks in our lovable band of survivors start to really show. It's nothing showy or flashy or ostentatious; nope, these are just examples of how familiarity breeds contempt, in even the zaniest of circumstances. And by god, does the book pack a shock or two. And goddamned if Tony Moore's art ain't gold.

More later.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?