<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 04, 2004

Banned Books. 

(I couldn't think of a clever title.)

Herein lies a list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books, from 1990 to 2000, compiled by the American Library Association, who also put on Banned Book Week every year.

Two things of direct interest to me in this list:

1) The Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series is listed as #1 on this list. I was a big fan of these three books. When I found a hardcover compilation in a Borders going for $10 about a year and a half ago, I just about shit myself I was so excited (my old paperbacks, that I'd had since my youth, have been read into tatters). Sure, I'll grant you the art is pretty freaky. Sure, I'll grant you that some of those stories scared the holy fucking bejesus out of me. But you know what? I turned out all right. I kill only one nun a year, and I hide the body really well. And I have some pretty damn great memories of those books.

2) What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Daughters is a full 21 spaces higher on the list than the similarly-titled book for boys. The only possible conclusion I can draw is that while we may say we're all liberated and women are equal in society and all that, and boy do we talk a good game, in the end, women's sexuality frightens the fuck out of us.

Hair on the balls? Cool. Hair on the vagina? BAN THAT SHIT!

And you know it's not just men hounding down that book. You know it's primarily PTA moms who have nothing better to do than feel threatened by society. You gotta wonder... what offends these women so deeply about their own sexuality and the emerging sexuality of their daughters?

Fuck. I dunno. Do you?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?