<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

The weakness. 

All right. I'm weak. I gave in. I used to bitch about blogs, and I still can't stand the self-involved, angsty, Friendster-inspired hipster lovefests that permeate places like LiveJournal. Not interesting. I don't care about what a bunch of losers in black-frame glasses and fucking vintage t-shirts have to say about anything. At all.

I dated an indie girl for awhile, y'see. And I still have a bad taste in my mouth. (Not THAT taste, ya fucking pervert.)

Where do I start? Comics, I guess. How appropriate is that? It's Wednesday, which is New Comics Day. That great exhalation you hear every Wednesday about noon is dorks like me picking up their latest issue of the Punisher or Lone or, god help us all, X-treme X-Men.

By the way: Good call on that last title, Chris Claremont. I know you were big shits in Marvel about three hundred and eighty five FUCKING years ago, but anyone who puts the word "X-Treme" in a book title, soft drink ad, or abstinence handbooks ought to be penetrated in all traditional orifices, along with any new ones that a crackhead might carve in.

Short Attention Span Topic Jump: I'll give you The Passion of the Christ, bitch.

Honestly, I want to see that movie. I would not give up a chance to see my generation's The Last Temptation of Christ for the world. There's been a whirlwind of bitching about this movie, pretty much by people who've never even seen it yet, and mostly because Gibson is apparently a very conservative man.

But hey: So fucking what? I took a trip to visit my brother up in Missouri this past week, and drove through some very conservative areas of nowhere. Church after church had billboards and signs posted relating to the movie, how to interpret it, what to take away from it, and so on and so forth.

I consider this to be a good thing, even if half those churches probably still teach that "negroids" are in actuality ape-men with a propensity for watermelon. Movies are art, aren't they? Art is supposed to stir up controversy and challenge our ideas, isn't it? Shouldn't art generate conversation and controversy and new levels of thoughtfulness? We could do with some uncomfortable shit in our lives. We're way too comfortable with ourselves as it is.

And I defer to The Man on one very interesting argument for increased dialogue about Heavy Topics, in this case religion, in movies (swiped from his review of Dogma):

"There is a long tradition that commercial American movies challenge conventional piety at great risk. For a long time, any movie dealing with religion had to be run past Hollywood's resident monsignors, ministers and rabbis for approval (the habits of actual orders of nuns could not even be portrayed, which led to great ingenuity in the costume department). On the other hand, nobody has any problem with a movie that treats spiritual matters on the level of the supernatural. This has led to an emerging anti-religion based on magic, ghosts, reincarnation, mediums and other new age voodoo. Talk shows allow "psychics" to answer your questions over the phone, but God forbid they would put on a clergyman to supply thoughtful spiritual advice. And if a movie dares to deal with what people actually believe, all hell, so to speak, breaks loose."

In other words, if you're all challenged by this Passion business: Fuck you. Suck it up, go spend $7, and have your thought processes challenged.

My, but I got off to a start, didn't I? More later. And uh.. welcome aboard, or whatever.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?